Tuesday 7 June 2016

My Pet Peeves

Things that get under my skin

So if you're anything like me, there are a few things that people do that just really gets on your nerves.  Now I am a patient person most of the time, but there are a few things that really test my patience, and here's the list in no particular order. 


1. My biggest pet peeve has to be the use of bad grammar/spelling.  Okay, so I can forgive non-native English speakers for using incorrect grammar or spelling.  But seeing people who have spoken English their whole lives using the wrong form of there/their/they're or your/you're really boils my blood.  I don't know if its the journalist in me, or the fact that I did a grammar module in college that gave me a whole new appreciation for good grammar.  All I know is that seeing fully grown adults making stupid spelling and grammar mistakes regularly just irks me. (I can forgive the odd mistake, we're all human, I'm not perfect either, I've made a few errors in the past!) What annoys me even more than the average Joe using bad grammar though is seeing fellow journalists or bloggers who are publishing content to a large audience, and are incapable of stringing a sentence together correctly, or are making simple grammatical errors.  Wrecks. My. Head. 

2.  When you're on public transport and there's one person taking up way too much space, and think that they're entitled to it.  For example once I was on the Dart and seen one man taking up a full booth/set of seats to himself with like a laptop bag and a school bag on the seat in front a suitcase on the floor right out to the aisle and was reading the newspaper across the other seat. Like I understand that for some people the only way they have to transport all their stuff from one place to another is on the train, I've had to do it, but I do my best to make sure I leave enough room for other people to sit if they need it.   It made me so mad that he took up that much space and didn't even consider moving to let someone sit, but had to be asked when the train started filling up.  

3.  Couples who sit on the same side of the booth/table when there is no one on the opposite side.  I don't know why this just really really gets on my nerves.  It's so bad for conversation, and it just looks weird to be honest! I don't know maybe I'm alone here but this bugs me!

4. People who play their music out loud on their phone in public.  I didn't think people still did this anymore, it felt like I was back on the school bus for secondary school in like first year.  But no, numerous times I've encountered this on the LUAS.  No I don't want to listen to your crappy dance tunes from 2007, please buy some headphones you can get them for €1.49 in DEALZ! 

5. Fakeness.  I hate people who are fake, I can't stand when people act all nice to your face, but don't have a nice word to say about you to everyone else.  I've encountered so many people like this in my life (I'm sure we all have) and it's the one trait in a person that I cannot stand.  At all! And I don't mean fake as in someone who's nice to your face, but just doesn't like you, but just says that and no more, that's just being polite.  I mean people who actively bitch about you at any given opportunity, that's just shady. 

6. Snapchatting while driving.  Like seriously, cop on, grow up, and use your snapchat when you're not putting lives at risk, both your own and others!

7. People who go to get something out of the cupboard, leave it on the counter or table and walk away with it out and the door left open.  Like that is just pure and utter ignorance and laziness, and I just cannot stand it!

8. People who think their opinion is superior to all others and try to push it on to you and other people.  No, I have my own opinion, I'm entitled to it, and I am perfectly capable of forming my own opinions thank you.  And people who look down on you or make you feel ashamed of having the opinion you have.  I also hate when people have no opinion too, but I have more tolerance for that, it's just not good for a debate or discussion if they don't have opinions.  

9. People who eat smelly food in confined places.  I don't know why but public transport seems to attract people eating smelly foods sometimes.  Like the perfect time to eat your smelly tuna pasta from a lunchbox is on the bus when I am violently hungover and the smell of anything stronger than toast is enough to make me hurl.  Thanks.  (Seriously though, go eff yourself!)

10.  When you order a delivery and they get part of the order wrong/are missing something.  I cannot tell you how many times I've brought my delivery into my apartment only to discover I'm missing a can of coke or a portion of chips or rice.  I know it's only a little thing but it really does annoy me! And I bloody paid for it, so why isn't it here!!


I think that's all for now, if you guys like this I might do some more posts like this! Leave your own pet peeves in the comments below.  Thanks for reading! 

Until the next time, 
MK xo

No comments: