Saturday 18 April 2015

DIY: Beachy Waves Salt Spray

The perfect look for Summer, beachy waves are such a versatile and easy look to do that suits almost every hair type.

Whether it's for that music festival you've waited all year to go to, the cute hippy style wedding you're attending or just simply for a cute boho hairstyle that works well both during the day and at night, beachy waves are a look that can really make an outfit look more summery. 


If you're like me and you have wild, uncontrollable curly hair, trying to get beachy waves can be a difficult task. My favourite salt spray product for getting this look has always been Loreal Matt and Messy Salt Spray  I swear by this product because it always leaves my hair wavy and soft but not frizzy and dry. 

The only thing I don't really like is the strong alcohol smell it has so I decided I'd try to make my own without the alcohol and see if it's anywhere near as good and maybe even a bit nicer smelling! 


The spray I made is suitable for any hair type, there are some products you will want to use less of (the oils if you have naturally oily hair) or more of (the leave in conditioner if you have dry hair) But you will know what products work best in your own hair! And if not a little trial and error wont hurt this DIY is really cheap and simple to do! 


Here's what I used to make my own Beachy Waves Salt Spray. 

  • A clean spray bottle. (You can buy one new, or like me, use an old one you already had.)
  • Distilled water (Bottled or boiled - I found boiled worked better simply for dissolving the other products in when it was still somewhat warm.)
  • Leave in conditioner.
  • Argan or coconut oil (whichever you prefer, I prefer coconut for the smell.) 
  • Sea salt. 
Aussie Miracle Recharge Frizz Remedy
Leave in Conditioner. 
Sea Salt

Clean, empty spray bottle.
(This is the salt spray product I usually use)



Coconut Milk (Love this stuff!!)



Here's how to make the spray:


1. Put  just a small bit less than 150ml/5fl ounces of distilled, lukewarm water in to a clean jug. (I used this much because my bottle only holds 150mls, if yours is bigger you'll want to adjust measurements to suit!) 

2. Add a teaspoon of sea salt to the water and stir well until it's completely dissolved. 


3. Add 1 teaspoon of coconut/argan oil. 


4. Add 2 and a half teaspoons of the leave in conditioner. (Again adjust this to your hair type and usual hair routine. If I use too much of this product I find my hair gets greasy so I only used a small bit, but enough to still keep the frizz at bay and stop my hair drying out.) 


5. Mix all well together in the jug and pour in to the clean spray bottle. 



There ya go, it's done, it really is that simple!! :) 


I've been using this now for about a week and so far it's going well, I really like the texture it gives to my hair and it smells AMAZING too!!


Hope you enjoyed this blog, feel free to comment your own thoughts on this if you tried it and liked it, or if you tried a variation of this!


Feel free to comment your thoughts on this blog!



Until the next time, 



MK xo

No comments: